By StayWell patient education experts
As the health care industry continues to focus on patient-centered care, providers strive to enhance the quality of care they deliver—with patient education that can make it easier for patients to understand and actively manage their health.
While health care organizations and providers often use print education to boost patient understanding and engagement, they should keep in mind that half of American adults without a high school education have below basic health literacy skills—and even high school and college graduates can have limited health literacy. Of those adults with below basic levels of health literacy, 43% rarely use written information—far less than those at higher health literacy levels.
5 benefits of video-based patient education
Adding video to print patient education can make it easier for providers to bridge patient health literacy while supporting different learning styles. Health education videos for patients can:
- Help providers explain complex medical topics and procedures to patients.
- Increase patient knowledge and understanding by as much as 38%.
- Improve outcomes and reduce readmissions.
- Help overcome barriers associated with low health literacy skills.
- Help patients feel better prepared for surgery, reducing their anxieties.
5 tips for choosing the right videos
With so many medical videos for patients on the market, providers can be sure those they choose are the best fit for their patients and organization when the videos are:
- Easy to use for providers, patients, and caregivers.
- Written to a 5th to 6th grade reading level with multiple titles available in various languages.
- Able to be played in waiting rooms and featuring closed captioning.
- Able to be shared via portal, along with printed transcripts and images.
Learn more about how adding StayWell’s patient education videos—that harness the power of behavioral science change—can improve patient understanding, engagement, and health outcomes.